While Sugar House doesn’t offer dancing every week, that doesn’t mean that there isn’t dancing to be had! All communities listed below are also social dance organizations that are open to the public. Groups listed in the surrounding areas focus on blues and swing dance.
- Looking Glass Music and Arts Association: Social Contra dancing 3rd Saturdays. Beginner lesson 6:30 pm, 7 pm dance Cost $6-$12. Check website for locations.
- Salsa Capital: Social Salsa dancing 2nd and 4th Fridays. Intermediate lesson 8 pm, 8:45 beginner lesson, 9:15 pm open dance. Cost $5. Located at AA Creative Corridor, 1133 S. Washington Ave
- Ten Pound Fiddle: Social Contra dancing 1st Saturdays. Beginner lesson 6:30 pm, 7 pm dance. Cost $6-$12. Check website for locations.
- Ann Arbor Swing Dance Association: Fridays in Ann Arbor. Beginner lesson 8 pm, 9 pm open dance. Cost $3-$5. Located at The Phoenix Center, 220 S. Main, Ann Arbor
- Grand Rapids Blues: 2nd and 4th Thursdays in Grand Rapids. Lessons once a month, 8 pm open dance. Cost $5. Check website for location.
- Grand Rapids Original Swing Society: Tuesdays and Wednesdays in Grand Rapids. Lesson 7 pm, 7:30 pm open dance. Cost $5. Check website for locations.
- Motor City Swing: Tuesdays in Southfield, occasional Saturdays in Plymouth. Series lesson 7 pm, Beginner lesson 8 pm, 9 pm open dance. Cost $5 (dance only). Check website for more information.
- Swing Ann Arbor: Wednesday nights on U of M campus. Series lesson 7 pm, Beginner lesson 8 pm, 9 pm open dance. Cost $3-$5. Check website for locations.
- Underground: Social swing dancing in Grand Rapids every Monday. Lessons 8 pm (Beginning, Intermediate, and Advanced), 9 pm open dance. Cost $5 – $10. Located at Movier Dance Studio, 2843 Burlingame Ave SW, Grand Rapids
Several colleges in the area have student organization that may or may not be open to community members, such as Michigan State University, Alma College, Central Michigan University, and Western Michigan University. The University of Michigan’s student organization is specifically open to community members, and so is listed above.